A river cruise is one of our favourite types of trips! Like a traditional cruise, you have the convenience of staying in one room with the benefit of seeing many cities. In contrast to life on a big busy cruise ship, you will travel in a smaller ship that is quieter with a more relaxed pace. Being on the river provides a much more intimate experience of the cities you visit. It’s very easy to see get off the ship to see the local sights. Plus, the gentle rocking of the water makes for a great sleep!
A River Cruise is the Greatest Way to Explore Europe
Cruises around Europe are very popular and provide a good overview of the major port cities. Consequently, a river cruise can tell you the other half of the story by taking you inland. From the comfort of a small ship, you can see many of the great cities that shaped human history and culture. Here’s an example of some of the unique sights on an 8 day Rhine river cruise.
- Cologne, Germany—a 2,000 year-old city known for its gothic architecture and famous twin-spired cathedral, and the many shops, cafés, and taverns of popular Old Town
- The spectacular Rhine Gorge—certainly the most beautiful stretch of the Rhine River—where ancient castles stand on cliffs 400 feet above the water
- The captivating Gutenberg Museum in Mainz where you can explore the history of printing—one of the most noteworthy innovations known to humankind
- The lovely La Petite France district in Strasbourg with its quaint shops, delightful bistros, and peaceful waterfront promenade
- Breisach, Germany, the gateway to Germany’s Black Forest—an area of unrivaled natural beauty—best known for Black Forest ham, cherry cake, and the cuckoo clock
In addition to the Rhine River, you may enjoy traveling these other famous European rivers:
- Danube River: Germany, Slovakia, Croatia, Romania, Austria, Hungary, Serbia and Bulgaria
- Main River: Germany
- Moselle River: France and Germany
- Rhône River: France and Switzerland
- Saône River: France
- Seine River: France
Travelers Love River Cruises
Avalon Waterways provides excellent service and value for river cruise vacations. In the words of one happy cruiser, JoAnn:
In June 2018, we took the cruise “Active Discovery on the Danube with Salzburg – Eastbound.” What a delight! The folks on the cruise ranged in age from 12 years to 82 years. We participated in all the hiking and canoeing tours that were offered and we loved every minute of our experiences. In Salzburg, our guides, Barbara and Christina were a delight. They were extremely knowledgeable and answered all our questions about the history and current events of the area. We visited castles and palaces and climbed many, many stairs. We were invigorated each day with no time to get bored! Nancy, our on board tour manager, is the BEST we have ever had. She is organized and accommodating and helped to make our experience so enjoyable and memorable.
Contact us to plan your next river cruise. From now until October 23, 2018, fly free on select 2019 river cruises.